Join us on Fri 17 & Sat 18 September 2021 for jazz with Philip Clouts (piano) & Ron Phelan (bass).
Known for his lively melodic compositions infused with world music, pianist Philip Clouts returns to Tincleton with exceptional double bass player Ron Phelan. The programme will include a couple of more meditative pieces composed recently, as well as jazz tunes by the likes of Cole Porter and Johnny Mercer.
Pianist Philip Clouts was born in Cape Town, South Africa, and lived in London from an early age. Clouts was a founder member of worldbeat jazz band Zubop, with whom he composed music and played the piano, touring internationally and releasing five CDs. Performances included Ronnie Scott’s, Symphony Hall in Birmingham, and the Womad and Glastonbury Festivals.
More recently the Philip Clouts Quartet has been a major focus of his composing and playing, and the latest album ‘Umoya,’ is titled from the Zulu word for ‘life force’. It was played on BBC’s Jamie Cullum Show, and Jazz FM has praised it, saying “It has a very infectious feel-good quality about it.”
Ron Phelan studied bass in Dublin before moving to the UK. He has worked with some of the best musicians and performers in the country touring both nationally and internationally in projects ranging from jazz ensembles to large scale theatrical productions. He currently lives in the South West of England where he divides his time between performing and composing.
The duo setting provides an ideal opportunity for these performers to present their work in an intimate context, with the music covering a wide variety of moods.
Special terms : due to Covid-19 will apply, approximately as follows, though we reserve the right to update them:
– Pre booking and prepayment only. All guests must give contact etc details.
– Seating will be allocated by us in advance. We will flex exact mix depending on demand and any constraints. Ask quickly if you have a larger party.
– We will give refunds if we need to cancel the concert for whatever reason. We will not refund if you need to cancel as that would disadvantage the musician(s), unless we can resell your seat.
– You must respect our Covid social distancing requirements, which will in turn comply with Government requirements. For the time being this means that no particular restrictions are anticipated unless Covid restrictions are reintroduced by Government.
– As usual drinks & nibbles will be served, but exactly how and where will depend on the weather.
– All concerts start playing at 8pm. Please arrive after 7:30pm.
– Tickets £15 each.
– To order tickets please email Tincleton Gallery or call Tincleton Gallery on 01305 848909