We are going to run an impromptu unscheduled jazz concert over two days with Philip Clouts now that a limited amount of Covid-19 relaxation has been permitted for indoor musical performance.
Cape Town born pianist and composer Philip Clouts’ South African roots have inspired a voyage of discovery that has led to him soaking up the joyful passion of Caribbean calypso, the bluesy melodies of middle eastern praise songs, the exuberant sway of Cuban dance music and the tuneful essence of Gospel while honouring jazz heroes including Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett.
The Philip Clouts Quartet has been a major focus of his composing and playing, and the latest album ‘Umoya’ is titled from the Zulu word for ‘life force’. Philip’s career has included playing at Ronnie Scott’s, Birmingham Symphony Hall and the Glastonbury Festival. His music has been played on BBC’s Jamie Cullum Show, and Jazz FM has praised it, saying “it has a very infectious feel-good quality.”
In this solo setting Philip will be presenting his work in an intimate context, highlighting the wide variety of moods in the music, and will also be playing some ‘jazz standards’.
Special terms will apply, approximately as follows, though we reserve the right to update them:
– Pre booking and prepayment only. All guests must give contact etc details.
– Seating will be allocated by us in advance and is strictly limited due to social distancing. We will flex exact mix depending on demand and constraints, but we prefer 2s, 3s, and 4s to get maximum use of space available. Limited singleton (1s) seats. Ask quickly if you have a larger party from the same household. Basically we have room for 7-8 ‘clumps’ of guests provided that everyone in that clump is permitted to ‘bubble’ with each other.
– We will give refunds if we need to cancel the concert for whatever reason. We will not refund if you need to cancel as that would disadvantage the musician(s), unless we can resell your seat.
– You must respect our social distancing requirements, which will in turn comply with Government requirements. For the time being this means masks are mandatory for guests when indoors, except when eating or drinking.
– As usual drinks & nibbles will be served, but exactly how and where will depend on the weather.