Jazz-meets-classical wizard David Gordon brings his soulful, thoughtful and joyous brand of performance to Tincleton on 16 and 17 September. Original compositions rub shoulders with ‘classical’ improvisations, jazz standards with baroque-inspired melodies, tango with samba, in a programme guaranteed to delight, to provoke and to soothe.
David is about to start touring a solo show entitled ‘Americans in Paris’, which focuses on the huge impact that composer and teacher Nadia Boulanger had on twentieth century music through her notable students, including Leonard Bernstein, Quincy Jones, Philip Glass, Astor Piazzolla and many more. These two concerts will give a glimpse into that programme.
In the second half of each concert, David will feature a different pianist to play some solos and duos, including music by the performers and a choice selection of jazz and Latin tunes. On Friday he will be joined by the esteemed and legendary John Law, renowned over many years for his refined pianism and remarkably diverse projects, and on Saturday by the young gun Gabriel Margolis who, though still a Cambridge undergraduate, is already an accomplished jazz player, improviser and composer. On both evenings, expect quick-fire exchanges, melodic and harmonic richness, dazzling virtuosity and empathic music-making of the highest order.
‘He doesn’t play many notes, but the notes that he does play are almost the selection of a genius’ David Freeman, jazzfm.
‘A richly gifted player with a sparkling style and boundless imagination’ The Independent on Sunday
“One of our most brilliant pianists” London Jazz News
Special terms : due to Covid-19 will apply, approximately as follows, though we reserve the right to update them:
– Pre booking and prepayment only. All guests must give contact etc details.
– Seating will be allocated by us in advance. We will flex exact mix depending on demand and any constraints. Ask quickly if you have a larger party.
– We will give refunds if we need to cancel the concert for whatever reason. We will not refund if you need to cancel as that would disadvantage the musician(s), unless we can resell your seat.
– You must respect our Covid social distancing requirements, which will in turn comply with Government requirements. For the time being this means that no particular restrictions are anticipated unless Covid restrictions are reintroduced by Government.
– As usual drinks & nibbles will be served, but exactly how and where will depend on the weather.
– All concerts start playing at 8pm. Please arrive after 7:30pm.
– Tickets £15 each.
– To order tickets please email Tincleton Gallery or call Tincleton Gallery on 01305 848909