This weekend features two programmes, one each on the Friday and on the Saturday:
Friday November 18 : John Law/Iain Ballamy – The Art of the Duo
Pianist John Law, a regular at Tincleton, features the world-renowned Iain Ballamy, a multi-award winning saxophonist and composer and acclaimed ECM recording artist in this new duo. John says: “I’m really excited and proud to be presenting Iain to the Tincleton audience, in this exploration of the art of interactive duo playing. He’s one of the most versatile and sensitive saxophonists playing in the world of jazz and creative music (and also a well-known film composer!) and we’ll be playing some of our own compositions plus recreating some well-known tunes by other people, all of it in a really spontaneous way. It’s going to be fun!”
Saturday November 19 : John Law/Jon Lloyd – Renaissance Revisited
Earlier in 2022 John Law and Jon Lloyd toured the UK for the Arts Council, appearing in major cathedrals such as Gloucester, Durham, Truro, Malmesbury Abbey and Christchurch Priory, presenting John’s project Renaissance, which mixes samples of sacred vocal music with electronics and improvised saxophone and keyboard. The result is mesmerising… a sort of Garbarek and the Hilliard Ensemble meets Ambient Chill! For this Tincleton concert they’ll be presenting some of the music from that project, in a more open and acoustic setting, plus some new, highly atmospheric soundscapes, specially created for this Tincleton concert.
Selected Quotes for John Law:
“…combining the vocabularies of jazz and classical in a singular and seamless way, coalescing improvisational surprise and a deep elegiac musicality…” All About Jazz 2011
“…so full of joy that it can renew your faith not just in jazz, but music itself.” Phil Johnson, Independent on Sunday 2011
“An interesting and highly gifted maverick musician” Alfred Brendel
“One of this country’s most imaginative young pianists” The Times
“When he records for ECM he’ll become a star” Jazzthethik, Germany
“…technical bravura with crystal clear, fast passagework coupled with a sovereign command over everything that is pianistically possible. You wonder if there is actually anything that this pianist cannot do.” Jazz Podium Germany 1997
Special terms : due to Covid-19 will apply, approximately as follows, though we reserve the right to update them:
– Pre booking and prepayment only. All guests must give contact etc details.
– Seating will be allocated by us in advance. We will flex exact mix depending on demand and any constraints. Ask quickly if you have a larger party.
– We will give refunds if we need to cancel the concert for whatever reason. We will not refund if you need to cancel as that would disadvantage the musician(s), unless we can resell your seat.
– You must respect our Covid social distancing requirements, which will in turn comply with Government requirements. For the time being this means that no particular restrictions are anticipated unless Covid restrictions are reintroduced by Government.
– As usual drinks & nibbles will be served, but exactly how and where will depend on the weather.
– All concerts start playing at 8pm. Please arrive after 7:30pm.
– Tickets £15 each (per evening).
– To order tickets please email Tincleton Gallery or call Tincleton Gallery on 01305 848909